GLP Foundation- Educating Children For A Better Future!
by Imon Reza
Gulshan Literacy Programmme (GLP) operates two schools. one in Badda with 208 students and the other in Gabtoli, Mirpur which has 202 students. The schools run in double shifts (8:00 to 11:30 and 12.30 to 4:30) and provide education from Kindergarten to Grade 8. GLP follows the Bangladeshi national curriculum with an emphasis on English language. There is one headmaster for each school with 15 full-time teachers altogether; 9 in Badda and 6 in Gabtoli. There also are part-time teachers offering tuition in computer sciences, tailoring and sewing. Most of the permanent full-time teachers have been with GLP for many years, some of them for over ten years.
Gulshan Literacy Programmme (GLP) Foundation was established by expatriates in 1985. GLP as a charity concern provided education to underprivileged children in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The Foundation integrally relies on private donations to ensure funds go where they are the most needed. The mission of the foundation and its schools is to provide education as a life changing opportunity for under-privileged street children living in slum areas. GLP is registered with Social Welfare under the Joint Stock Company Act.
Rabeya Akter, a college student, passed JSC (VIII) examination from GLP-2 (Gabtoli, Mirpur) in 2009. Now She works as a part-time teacher with an NGO named Nari Maitree. Her father Ramzan Ali works as cleaner and her mother is a housewife.
Monir Hossain is a Self Employed man who passed SSC examination in 1997 with the generous support from some of the GLP Board Members. Later He passed HSC Examination in 1999 and decided to start his own business. Now he runs a phone-fax shop. He is grateful to GLP for all their support.
In order to continue supporting these children GLP needs YOUR SUPPORT. You can help with.
Some possible ways to support GLP:
1. SPONSOR A CHILD: Only with 250 dollars/20,000 taka we can meet the educational expenses of a child for a year.
2. BECOME A VOLUNTEER: You may come an teach at GLP schools, anything related to the curriculum and/or something extra-curricular including painting, singing, photography etc;
3. DONATE GOODS: You may sponsor stationery, books, computers and the like for the schools.
5. SCHOOL MAINTENANCE: You may partly contribute to the school rents, maintenance, utilities, teachers’ salaries and training, uniforms and bags, school feeding programs and, funds permitting, scholarships to over 50 GLP high school students.
6. Any other contributions – in cash and in kind – would be greatly appreciated.
Learn more here for GLP Foundation.
February 11, 2017
December 4, 2018
December 4, 2018